Antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest menaces faced by individuals globally. Antibiotic resistance can affect anyone irrespective of age and gender. When individuals attain antibiotic resistance, it becomes difficult to treat infections like gonorrhoea, pneumonia, tuberculosis, and other infectious diseases. One of the biggest issues faced by the individuals who developed antibiotic resistance is the longer hospital stay, increased mortality, and rising medical cost.
In this post, let’s read and understand more about antibiotic resistance!
Note: Always use N95 mask and medical gloves during pandemic
What is antibiotic resistance?
Antibiotics are the medicines that are used to treat bacterial infections, but the repeated use of the medicines can develop resistance against the pathogens and creates a path for the germs to survive. Though new medicines have been developed yet we need to strictly adhere to certain behavioural changes such as practicing good hand hygiene, vaccination, and food hygiene to prevent the spread of infection.
Important things you need to know about antibiotic resistance:
- The body doesn’t become resistant to antibiotics, but the drugs which are used to treat infections may develop resistance to the germs due to repeated use.
- Antibiotic resistance may develop at any stages of life.
- Practice healthy habits and protect yourself if you are suffering from chronic infections or inflammation.
- Don’t use antibiotics unless it is required this is because the chances of developing side-effects or drug resistance are more. So, if you are suffering from a common cold or flu, speak to your healthcare provider before you hit the medical shop for any antibiotics. Your doctor may prescribe medicines to treat your issue. If medicines are prescribed, order them from a trusted online medical store and get them delivered at your doorstep.
- Well! We know that antibiotic resistance is a global threat it can spread from farms, communities, hospitals, and the environment. So, if you have travelled recently to other countries, inform your healthcare provider about the same as it may help them to ease your health issues very smoothly.
What are the factors which can cause antibiotic resistance?
Here, we have compiled a list of factors that can cause antibiotic resistance and those are discussed below:
- Over prescription of antibiotics has led harder for the bacteria to treat
- Poor water, sanitation, and personal hygiene practices
- Overuse of antibiotics in livestock production, poultry, and fish farming
- Never completing a full course of antibiotics, as suggested by the doctor
- Lack of introducing new antibiotics
Why do you need to keep an eye on your health for not developing antibiotic resistance?
Yes! If you have a weakened immune system the risk of developing antibiotic resistance is higher. Also, if you are going for cancer treatment, joint replacements, or organ transplants, you can’t receive the complete effectiveness of antibiotics if you are already sensitive to any antibiotic drugs. Hence, pay more attention to your health for not using antibiotics unless it is necessary, thereby to prevent developing antibiotic resistance.
Things you need to focus on preventing antibiotic resistance:
Below, we have mentioned a few important things that you may follow to inhibit yourself and your family from antibiotic resistance:
- Eat a well-balanced diet and stay healthy always
- Cover your mouth while coughing
- Get vaccines on time to prevent developing infections and diseases
- Wash your hands thoroughly
- Take antibiotics only when required
- Complete your antibiotic course as prescribed by your doctor
- Use the antibiotics, which are prescribed by your doctor. Never try to take self-prescribed antibiotics or prescribed by someone else. Follow the advice of your doctor strictly, also shop your prescription medicines from the best online pharmacy store in India and avail free home delivery on all orders you place.